Friday, December 11, 2009

Focus. Concentrate. Execute.

When I play pool game, one thing that I have noticed quite often is that, when I talk less during the game, I play well. Once I start speaking, plans are exchanged with my fellow partners and spectators. I am instructed by everyone around some piece of their idea. Just like the way I do when others play their shot! You tend to get to analytical mode, become a critic of each shot played. Now there is the problem. More energy is spent in this thought process than the actual task in hand: WHAT SHOT TO PLAY? HOW TO PLAY? WHAT NEXT? Thoughts are scattered. Focus is lost. Shot fails. I am left frustrated. End result is that I might lose the game. Angered. Disappointed. Laugh at myself. All depending on my mood. Not that I hate to lose, but I don't like to lose a game that I have in hand! No one does!

When you are executing something with an idea, stop listening to others. If you want to listen, then stop executing. Take a break. Listen. Decide. Then - Execute.

What if people keep talking when you are playing? You have to stop listening. Simply difficult. But that's the game! Focus.

During execution, don't worry about the result. That's one big distraction. Internal distractions are as troublesome as the external ones. Fear of losing or worrying about mistakes makes even a strong one weaker. One shot at a time. Concentrate.

Lessons learnt may be from a game. But aren't these applicable to everything you do?
Indeed. Cutoff the external disturbances - TURN YOUR FOCUS INWARDS, subdue internal commotion - CONCENTRATE ON THE PRESENT TASK, and play the shot - EXECUTE!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again dude .. you are correct !!!

Unknown said...

Today, I probably played the best pool games of my life thus far in our internal tournament. Focus. Concentrate. Execute. It works! :)