Thursday, December 24, 2009

A defeat teaches you more than a victory does

Today, I reached finals in our org's pool tournament. I played well to lead 2-1 and just when I was about to win it 3-1, I did a stupid defensive act which resulted in my loss of championship 2-3 to my opponent, a deserving winner.

There are times risks ought to be taken. There are times caution is required. But risk with caution often wins. And when you have the advantage of a lead, and presented with an opportunity, you better go for the kill. I displayed this attitude in quarter-finals to make it to semis, did it again in semis to reach the final. But, when it mattered the most, my mind displayed a shadow of weakness and I missed the limelight.

I have learnt a lot of things by playing a tournament like this. This helped me in many competitive ways for I have learnt a lot of lessons from my wins & defeats.

  • You have half-won the match, if your opponents fear you.
  • In a game, skill is just 20%. Rest is all mind. Patience is the key.
  • One at a time. One after the other. Don't bog your mind by too many targets.
  • Planning is very important. But don't stick to it so much that you fail to see a better opportunity that comes on the way. Watch it! Keep your mind open, always.
  • Luck will not win you everything. But it can certainly create great opportunities. Rest is in your hands.
  • When you have the advantage, go for the kill but with caution. There is a thin line between being aggressive and being rash.
  • Play to win. But accept defeats. A defeat teaches you more than a victory does.

No comments: